Babel-17 (S.F. MASTERWORKS): Samuel R. Delany

Babel-17 (S.F. MASTERWORKS): Samuel R. Delany

RRP: £9.99
Price: £4.995
£4.995 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

The 103 third parties who use cookies on this service do so for their purposes of displaying and measuring personalized ads, generating audience insights, and developing and improving products. He heard himself say, "Perhaps if you could tell me a little about yourself, Miss Wong, I could speak more freely with you.

E eu amei a força que dão para a linguagem nessa história, a poeta é uma das protagonistas, porque o protagonismo mesmo é dado para a linguagem. My main complaint is that the novel is too short and that many of the critical scenes, especially late in the story, disappear into the blank spaces between chapters. If you bounce hard off stories with no, well, story, just relax, this one's short, rather witty, and unlike anything I've read before. Dito isso, em um livro de 274 páginas há tanta coisa que é até mesmo difícil escolher por onde começar. Sure enough, with his defenses down, he is smitten by Rydra’s beauty and struggles to contain his every response to her.Far from my favourite Delany novel, Babel-17 does confirm, I think, that I prefer his science fiction to his fantasy outings. In fact, the whole story is based on the development of this idea and those passionate about linguistics will find a real gem within its pages. When last I heard, they were already up to the B's, but I'm sure they don't have a thing on Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaavdqx.

A, of course extremely evil, triumvirate of space opera, Hard Sci Fi with elements of cyberpunk, astrophysics, scientific theories,… and social sci-fi controls the output of the genre, leaving many of the too alternative concepts and narrative styles with less hope for large sales. This universe has been split between Alliance and Invaders, two human groupings that have divided up several galaxies between them but remain at war.

Delany plays around with the Saphir-Whorf hypothesis, but it's so poorly interpreted to be almost unintelligible. Delany wants to create a baroque far-future universe in just a few hundred pages, and he manages to do that incredibly well. The first of a remarkable series of vital and stunning masterpieces, a dazzlingly realised star-spanning epic populated with truly mysterious aliens and humans entirely believable yet gorgeously strange. He published nine well-regarded science fiction novels between 1962 and 1968, as well as several prize-winning short stories (collected in Driftglass [1971] and more recently in Aye, and Gomorrah, and other stories [2002]). Com tanta misturada ao mesmo tempo, não é exatamente um livro fácil e tem algumas coisas que até podem ser incômodas.

But both have this in common: once you find the key, you just plug it in and out come logical sentences.Since January 2001 he has been a professor of English and Creative Writing at Temple University in Philadelphia, where he is Director of the Graduate Creative Writing Program. Delany in which the Sapir–Whorf hypothesis (that language influences thought and perception) plays an important part. Their ability to speak Babel-17 has altered their minds and we learn that it was Rydra who was the traitor on board the ship. I hauled myself to the end of this one out of duty, dragged along by the feeling that I should finish such a well-regarded work.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop